Eight more interesting facts about Teddington!

News - 18/11/2015
  1.  Teddington Manor was first owned by Benedictine Monks in Staines, it is believed that a chapel was built dedicated to St Mary in the same place as St. Mary’s sits today.
  2. Teddington’s population by the 14th Century was 100-200, with most of the land being owned by the Abbot of Westminster. The remainder of the land was rented by tenants who had to work the fields for a number of days a year.
  3. The 20th century saw many new establishments arise in Teddington, Sims Opticians and Dowsett’s Newsagents to name a few which still exist today.
  4. Teddington Carnegie Library was built in 1906 and electricity was also supplied so that further development could occur.
  5. The only hospital in the area had been a very small cottage hospital, which could not keep up with the rising population especially during the First World War. Over the next decade money was raised which came to build the Teddington Memorial Hospital in 1929.
  6. By 1960 most of the damage created by World War II bombings had been rebuilt, and it was starting to look very attractive again. This was also the start of chain stores opening – Tesco’s opened in 1971.
  7. 1958 saw the opening of Teddington studios, which was the former home of Thames Television.
  8. Teddington has a lively online community and there is always plenty of information about local news on Twitter and Facebook.

Why not join on our #Teddington takeover day today on Twitter and let us know what it is about Teddingon that you love. Tweet your messages to @morrlaw.com using #Teddington.

Disclaimer:

Although correct at the time of publication, the contents of this newsletter/blog are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute, legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article. Please contact us for the latest legal position.