Marie is a Dispute Resolution solicitor in our Wimbledon office.
Marie graduated from Bristol University with a degree in Law. She went on to gain 4 years’ commercial experience in the media industry and worked in a client-facing media research role at Kantar Media. She acted mainly for PR professionals in the automotive, luxury and FMCG industries. Marie trained with a South West law firm before joining Morrisons in September 2019.
Marie acts both for corporate clients, dealing with contractual and partnership disputes, as well for individuals in high value and complex litigation relating to trusts and deceased estates. Her contested probate practice includes disputes concerning the validity of Wills, claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, executor/beneficiary disagreements in the administration of deceased estates, and the financial abuse of the elderly.
Something you may not know
Marie is fluent in French having spent her formative years in France
Marie Smale acted for me and defended successfully a false charge brought against me by a very difficult complainant. Thank you for being very responsive and for being able to grasp the matter spontaneously. - Recent Client
Dispute Resolution Client, Wimbledon
Thank you Marie Smale and the whole team at Morrisons for helping me in resolving a long standing commercial dispute. Your professionalism, multidisciplinary approach within your ample legal team and skills on conflict resolution, helped me get through a difficult time in dealing with incredibly unreasonable people. Your advice and knowledge gave me confidence at times when I had lost confidence in humanity!
Examples of work
Wills, Trusts and Probate disputes
- Successfully defended an executor at trial against a claim by a beneficiary for the misappropriation of estate assets and an account and inquiry.
- Acted for beneficiaries in an undue influence and constructive trust claim against a charity executor and beneficiary. Successfully negotiated a complex settlement involving two deceased estates, negating the need for court action.
- Acted for a beneficiary and successfully settled court proceedings for Will rectification, reasonable financial provision, and negligence against a Will Writer.
- Acting for a deceased’s spouse in a constructive trust and Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 claim, involving will trusts, global assets and other complex cross-border issues.
- Negotiated a settlement of a complex dental practice partnership dispute involving matters of employment law, data protection, General Dental Council regulations, and division of assets.
- Defended a business in a dispute with a bank involving the leasing of telecoms equipment and brokered a settlement of the claim.