Buying, Selling and Mortgaging a Property
The information on costs and timing is provided for guidance only. It is not a quotation. We shall be pleased to provide more detailed costs information relating to a particular matter on request. Every client will receive a letter of engagement and terms of business setting out our terms and costs based on their needs and the specific facts of the matter.
Where we carry out residential property work for clients, including freehold and/or leasehold sales and purchase, and mortgages or re-mortgages, we will agree with you a fee estimate at the outset. That fee estimate is not strictly a ‘fixed fee’ but we would only seek to alter that estimate if the work we were required to do was significantly outside what we expected when the estimate was given and only in consultation with you.
Our fee estimates are based on various factors on a case-by-case basis. Our fees typically range from £995 plus VAT to a maximum of 0.125% of the value of the property +VAT. Such fees are intended to cover the work required in respect of the transaction and we do not charge additional ‘add on’ fees for work within the original, agreed scope.
Throughout our house sale and purchase they were efficient, considerate and kept us fully updated on a regular basis. An excellent service!
Please see below by way of ‘typical’ fees for some straightforward transactions:-
- purchase of a residential, freehold house with a registered title with a value of £450,000 with a mortgage - £1,095 plus VAT.
- sale of a leasehold property with a registered title with a value of £450,000 - £1,245 plus VAT
- re-mortgage of a freehold property with a registered title with a value of £450,000 - £850 plus VAT
An indication of what may affect the level of fees involved include the following:-
- The value of the property in question
- Whether the transaction is a sale, purchase or re-mortgage
- Whether the property in question is leasehold or freehold
- The nature of the mortgage or other funding method
- The urgency of the matter and whether or not there is another transaction with which it must coincide
- Whether the property is a listed building, in a conservation area or subject to other planning obligations requiring specific action or investigation
- Where a freehold property, if the property is part of a managed estate
- Whether title to the property is defective and remedial action required.
- Whether or not the property is registered at the Land Registry, and if so in more than one registered title. If the transaction consists of the purchase of a new build house or flat at which point the new title has not been created or if the land is unregistered then further consideration of the time involved may be required.
- Hourly Rates
This is not an exhaustive list of circumstances that we must take into account when providing you with a cost estimate. However, assuming the initial information we are given is accurate and also taking account of the experience of our qualified staff who give you the costs estimate, it will be possible to provide an accurate estimate at that stage. In the event of unforeseen circumstances or subsequent changes in instructions, any requirement to revisit and amend the cost estimate would always be undertaken fully in consultation with you.
- Apprentice Solicitor: £50 plus VAT
- Legal Administration/ Paralegal Level 1: £50 plus VAT
- Paralegal Level 2: £110 plus VAT
- Paralegal Level 3: £120 plus VAT
- Trainee Solicitor: £130 plus VAT
- Assistant Executive: £150 plus VAT
- Conveyancing Executive: £200 plus VAT
- Associate Solicitor: £200 plus VAT
- Legal Director: £200 plus VAT
- Senior Associate Solicitor: £210 plus VAT
- Partner: £220 plus VAT
- Partner, Head of Department: £250 plus VAT
- Consultant: £300 plus VAT
You can read more details about individual members of our team here.
Disbursements (out of pocket expenses) will always be payable and we will provide you with a detailed breakdown of these. However, typical disbursements include the following:
- For providing Bank Telegraphic Transfer (CHAPS) we charge £30 plus VAT per transfer (including our bank’s charge to us of £13.50).
- SALE ONLY: Land Registry Official Copy Entries, Plans or Documents – £3 per copy.
- LEASEHOLD SALE ONLY: Landlord/Managing Agent’s Fees for supplying leasehold management information. This varies considerably but we estimate £200 - £400 inc VAT.
- PURCHASE/ REMORTGAGE: Land Registry Registration Fees – £20 - £910 (no VAT). (This depends on value and certain other factors. The Land Registry website provides the current fee scale).
- PURCHASE/REMORTGAGE: Land Registry Pre-Completion Searches – typically £7 (no VAT).
- PURCHASE/ REMORTGAGE: Property Searches - £340 inc VAT.
- LEASEHOLD PURCHASE/ REMORTGAGE: Landlord/Managing Agent’s Notice/Admin Fees (if required). These can vary considerably from £30 to £400 depending on the landlord’s requirements.
1 5 5Roger is an excellent solicitor... He is very responsive and keeps you updated all the time. With him you are at safe hands.
1 5 5I have always received a first class service from Morrisons. Thanks as always to Roger Gravel and his team.
1 5 5Gaia...was excellent & guided us through all the additional difficulties of selling our property during lockdown clearly & pragmatically.
1 5 5I can't thank Gareth and his colleges enough for all there help and professionalism in selling my old house and purchasing my new home
1 5 5We would recommend Morrisons, and Gaia, to anyone looking for professional and reliable solicitors.
1 5 5As always Gareth and Maryanne were fantastic managed to get the sale and purchase through in timescale we wanted. I have used Gareth for 20+ y...
1 5 5Debbie Carpenter efficiently guided the whole process and swiftly responded to any queries. Debbie was the only one to be on top of the process!
1 5 5It was a joy to work with Luke Corby-Owen, he made the process of selling and buying our house as stress free and painless as possible
1 5 5All our matters were professionally handled with patience and sensitivity by Gaia Dart and we would offer our unqualified recommendation.
1 5 5Luke was great in his advice, the work he did on my behalf and the friendly and courteous manner in which he dealt with my sale.