SEEK… AND YE SHALL FIND!
A new property ownership search facility offered by the Land Registry may be a valuable tool for those with an interest in the property of a registered owner – such as personal representatives, appointed liquidators or creditors.
The Index of Proprietors’ Names is a property ownership record kept by the Land Registry, and a search can be made of the Index in certain circumstances.
A search reveals a list of all the titles to registered properties owned by, or mortgaged to, a specific individual or company.
If the individual or organisation jointly owns any property titles with another individual or organisation, then the search results will also reveal these.
An Index of Proprietors’ Names search can be made against:
- the Applicant’s own name;
- the name of a corporate body, e.g. a registered company;
- the name of another individual in whose property the Applicant has an interest, e.g. the Official Receiver or a Trustee in Bankruptcy can search against the name of the bankrupt, or a personal representative may search against the name of the deceased;
- a private individual by an order of the Court expressly authorising such a search; or
- a person who has provided written authority to the Applicant to carry out an Index of Proprietors’ Names search.
Upon receipt of an application (a fee of £12 is charged for each name searched), the Land Registry will automatically carry out a search of both the proprietorship and charges register.
In all property ownership searches against private individuals, the Registrar must be satisfied that the Applicant has a sufficient interest in the property of that individual. It is important that supporting evidence is submitted with such applications, failing which, the application may be rejected.
Please note: The Index of Proprietors’ Names search results are based on an exact name match and cannot distinguish between different persons or organisations with the same name. Further searches or investigation may be required.
If you require further information on Index of Proprietors’ Names and issues surrounding property ownership, or wish to carry out a search, please contact Emma Moore 01737 854 577 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Matthew Hearsum 020 8971 1028 or email email@example.com in our Dispute Resolution department.